My training during this period will mostly revolve around my Mt. Whitney hike in August. I would like to be as strong and lean as possible for this hike, as well as peaking in regards to cardiovascular fitness. This period will include some experimenting with my diet and training regimen. In the end, I want to increase strength levels while maintaining or improving current body fat percentage over 9.5 weeks (06/09/13 – 08/14/13)
Target (guesstimate) – 168.0 lbs w/ 30” waist ~ 7-8% bodyfat
Weight: ~169 lbs Waist: 30.77″
Body fat per http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/: 9.1%
Body fat per skin-fold test: 8.83% (5.5 mm at suprailliac site on 6/09/13)
Body fat per Navel research method: 7.69%
Average Body fat: 8.54%
Neutral Grip Dumbbell Bench Press: 100 x 8 reps ~ 126 lb 1RM (measured 05/28/13)
Dead Lifts: 345 x 3 reps ~ 385 lb 1RM (measured 05/24/13)
Squats: 265 lbs x 4 reps ~ 300 lb 1RM (measured 05/20/13)
Weighted Chins: BW(168 lbs) + 80 lbs x 2 reps ~ 255 lb 1RM (measured 05/20/13)
Standing Overhead Press: 120 lbs x 6 reps ~ 145 lbs 1 RM (05/22/13)
Intermittent Fasting per LeanGains approach. Training and diet will both consist of two different cycles.
Caloric and macronutrient intake calculated by http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ with custom adjustments (minimum 170 g protein per day). This period will include two different cycles. I will start with a 4 week lean massing cycle, lifting 4 days per week (5/3/1 program). This will be followed by a 6 week cut, during which I will lift 4 days per week (RPT program). Both cycles will include High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) 2-3 days per week as well as hiking a couple of days per month.
Cycle 1: Lean Massing (06/09 – 07/06) This is where I will be experimenting with my diet. I will have 2 days where I eat at a suplus (Training 1), 2 days where I eat at TDEE (Training 2) and 2 days where I eat at a large deficit (Rest). The remaining day of each week will be a cheat day (usually Saturday).
Training 1 (Upper body Focus)
Training 2 (Dead Lifts/Squats focus)
Cycle 2: Slow Cut (07/07 – 08/13) Slow(er) cut @ -20/0, instead of my usually -30/-10. On the days I do HITT, I plan to eat back the calories burned, especially on rest days.
Cycle 2: RPT with H-ITT style cardio (07/07 – 08/13)
Workout 1 (Monday)
- 10-min walk to gym (warm-up).
- Squats: 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps reverse pyramid style Rest 3 mins between sets*
- Chins: 2-3 sets of 3-5 reps reverse pyramid style Rest 3 mins between sets*
- Fat Bar Curls: 1-2 sets of 8-10 reps (optional) Rest 2 mins between sets *Alternating sets of squats and chins. For example: Squats, 90 sec rest, Chins, 90 sec rest, Squats
Workout 2 (Wednesday)
- 10-min walk to gym (warm-up).
- Rotator Cuff Exercises
- Neutral Grip Dumbbell Bench Press: 2-3 sets of 5-7 reps reverse pyramid style. Rest 3 mins between sets
- Standing Overhead Press: 2-3 sets of 5-7 reps reverse pyramid style. Rest 3 mins between sets
Workout 3 (Friday)
- 10-min walk to gym (warm-up)
- Deadlift: 2-3 sets of 4-6 reps reverse pyramid style. Rest 3 mins between sets
- Pull-ups: 1-2 sets with body weight. Rest 3 mins between sets
- Dips: 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps reverse pyramid style. Rest 3 mins between sets